Soul star Hayes was 'cool as ice'


Soul II Soul star and British music pioneer Jazzie B became friends with US soul icon Isaac Hayes after they performed together in the 1990s.

Jazzie B says the iconic singer-songwriter, who has died at the age of 65, has left a big impression on him - and on modern music.


I first heard Isaac as a kid. He was Black Moses at that time. He'd done that album - that would have been the early '70s.

We had a lot of laughs, a lot of chuckles

One of the things I remember most was the album cover, him as Black Moses, with the chain waistcoat and the cloak, and the album sleeve opened out into a cross. A very outstanding piece of material.

My biggest memory of Isaac is singing with him in Paris, I think it was either '95 or '97, singing Papa Was a Rolling Stone. That duet was just so bizarre. That's one of my fondest memories. We became friends after that.

When Isaac came over [to the UK], I'd often hang out with him and we had a lot of mutual friends. He was just a really nice man, a really cool guy. He was quite funny, quite comedic. Always had interesting things to say.

I probably remember him more from a humorous point of view, we had a lot of laughs, a lot of chuckles. Isaac definitely had an impression on people.

BY-BBC NEWS